- This event has passed.
The Role of Technology. Implementing the New Urban Agenda to Achieve Sustainable Development
June 20 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pmFree
This conference will examine the impact of technology on cities now and in the future. It will look at how advancing technology can be used to achieve the sustainable development goals related to cities and implement the New Urban Agenda. The advent of driverless cars, automation, artificial intelligence and infinite data will play an increasing role in defining the future of urban living and its sustainability.
This conference aims to showcase good examples of how advanced technology can improve urban sustainability now and in the future. It will also analyze challenges and opportunities of the trends of how advanced technology is shaping cities in its three panels. Ideas and prognostications will inform policies and actions designed to make better cities for all.
The keynotes and panelists of the three panels represent a broad spectrum of technologists, government officials, business executives, urbanists, planners, and academics, among them:
- H.E. Dr. Talal Abu Ghazaleh, C.E.O., The Talal-Abu-Ghazaleh Organization.
- Mr. John Paul Farmer, Director of Technology & Civic Innovation, Microsoft.
- Ms. Sarah Williams, Associate Professor of Technology and Urban Planning; Director, Civic Data Design Lab, MIT School of Architecture and Planning.
- Ms.Zena Ali-Ahmad Director Regional Office for Arab StatesUnited Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat).
- Ms. Michele Zaoui, Chief Architect, City of Paris, France.
- Ms. Purnima Kapur, Executive Director, New York City Department of City Planning (DCP).
- 9:00 AM Registration
- 10:00 AM Opening Session
- 11:00 AM Dialogue Session 1: Emerging Technology
- 1:00 PM Speakers Luncheon
- 3:00 PM Dialogue Session 2: Technology and Cities
- 4:30 PM Dialogue Session 3: Political Will and the Future of Cities
- 5:45 PM Closing