Apply for a MillionTreesNYC mini-grant

Simple magic. Urban trees improve air qual­ity, unite neigh­bor­hoods, decrease storm water runoff, increase real estate val­ues, and reduce heat­ing and cool­ing costs. And they look beautiful when they get big.

Scroll this
From MillionTreesNYC
From MillionTreesNYC

Do you want to support the urban forest in your neighborhood, or help it grow?

MilllionTreesNYC, one of the 132 PlaNYC initiatives, is a program that will lead the planting and care of one million new trees across the City in the next decade. These one million new trees will increase the City’s urban forest area by 20%. Urban trees improve air quality, unite neighborhoods, decrease storm water runoff, increase real estate values, and reduce heating and cooling costs. And they look beautiful when they get big. The City of New York will plant 70% of the trees in parks and other public spaces. The other 30% will be planted by private organizations, homeowners, and community groups.

This year, MillionTreesNYC is offering grants to empower community groups to care for and plant new trees in their neighborhoods. May 26 is the deadline to apply for a MillionTreesNYC 2014 Mini-Grant. Grants of up to $1000 are available for tree care projects and reforestation stewardship projects.

Street tree care projects will involve the care of at least 20 young trees. Any kind of community organization is eligible to apply.

To be considered for a reforestation stewardship grant, the project must include at least one reforestation event or workday between June-November 2014 involving at least 20 community members or volunteers. The grant is only available to NAVigators who have completed 12 independent volunteer hours. To become a NAVigator, you can participate in Natural Areas Volunteers, a program that trains and supports volunteers in ecological projects across the city. NAVigators are needed to help MillionTreesNYC sites grow into healthy forests.

Last year, various recipients of the grant across each of the 5 boroughs mulched and watered tree pits, held street tree care workshops, installed tree guards, and planted flowers. One organization held a beauty contest for the best tree bed. To apply, visit the MillionTreesNYC site.